st: Problem with "insheet using" command

From   Jason Hecht <jhecht58@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Problem with "insheet using" command
Date   Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:12:27 -0400

I used the following command to import data from an Excel spreadsheet:

insheet using "c:\my documents\y98.csv", comma

However, when I use the describe command to check my summary
statistics I get "O" for the number of observations.  My guess is that
all my data is being read in as strings (the spreadsheet has columns
with numbers and and columns with letters).