Re: st: pattern fill with twoway rbar

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: pattern fill with twoway rbar
Date   Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:34:43 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Fri, 11/6/10, Miranda Kim wrote:
> I am using twoway rbar to produce a plot, and I have been
> changing the color of the boxes using the option fcolor, but
> I wondered if there is a way of filling them with patterns
> such as hashing?

Yes, but it is not easy:

ssc d twoway_parea

So you need to rework your graph as an area graph (bars are
just a special case of areas) and use -twoway _parea- instead.

There is quite a bit of literature on what makes a good graph
and usually such pattern fills are considered as distracting
from the main message of the graph, and are thus frowned upon.
I guess that this is why it hasn't been implemented in
official Stata.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie