RE: st: RE: FW: graphing ordinal panel data over time

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: FW: graphing ordinal panel data over time
Date   Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:33:24 +0100

Maarten's -proprcspline- (SSC) mentioned below seems to have the edge here as directly respecting the constraint that the proportions necessarily add to 1.

I don't think that this machinery of Roger's does that, except by approximation. It's probably a fine point for graphics, but doing it properly is always a good idea.

Roger Newson

If Paul wants to track the proportions with the 3 values over time, with
confidence limits, then Paul might define 3 identifier variables
identifying the 3 values, and model the progress of the means
(proportions) of these with time (possibly using -ci- with -statsby- to
make an output dataset with 1 obs per time point), and then use
-eclplot- to produce the confidence interval plots, Alternatively, if
time is a continuous variable, then Paul might prefer to use a spline
regression model of log(p/(1-p)) with respect to time, using the
-frencurv- module of the -bspline- package to compute a spline basis
whose parameter values are values of the spline at points on the time
axis, and then use -logit-, -logistoc- or -glm-, with the -noconst-
option, to define confidence intervals for the p/(1-p) values at these
time points, and then to use -parmest- to produce an output dataset with
1 observation per parameter and data on estimates and confidence limits,
and then to do an end-point transformation of the confidence intervals
to the original probability scale before plotting the confidence
intervals over time using -eclplot-. The examples of Newson (2001) and
Newson (2004) might be helpful here.

If Paul is principally interested in measuring the ordinal association
of this 3-level ordinal variable with time, then the -somersd- package,
downloadable from SSC, might provide a way to do this.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Newson R. 2001. Splines with parameters that can be explained in words
to non-mathematicians. Presented at the 7th UK Stata User Meeting, 14
May, 2001. Download from
http://ideas.repec.org/p/boc/usug01/11.html

Newson R. 2004. B-splines and splines parameterized by their values at
reference points. (This is a manual for the bspline package,
downloadable from the SSC archive site, and is a post-publication update
of a Stata Technical Bulletin article.) Download from
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/papers.htm#program_manuals