Re: st: RE: FW: graphing ordinal panel data over time

Subject   Re: st: RE: FW: graphing ordinal panel data over time
Date   Tue, 8 Jun 2010 12:16:59 +0000 (GMT)

--- Seed, Paul forwarding a.hense@jpberlin.de

--- On Tue, 8/6/10, Nick Cox wrote:
> There are several possible graphs here. For example, you
> can -contract- and then just draw line plots of frequencies
> or percents. Another way to do it directly is using
> -catplot- (SSC).

Yet another way would be look at -proprcspline-, see
-ssc d proprcspline- and
<http://www.maartenbuis.nl/software/proprcspline.html>

An important difference is that -proprcspline- also applies
certain amount of smoothing, which can for example be helpful
when some the of the periods contain relatively few cases, such
that the changes between periods becomes too eratic.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie