st: -catplot- revised on SSC

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: -catplot- revised on SSC
Date   Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:46:15 +0100

As signalled earlier today, and thanks to Kit Baum, -catplot- has been
revised on SSC.

. ssc desc catplot

gives an executive summary.

Please use -ssc- or -adouPdate- to install if interested.

I revised the syntax and much extended the help file.

Stata 8 is required (still).

If you used -catplot- previously, then please note that the new
-catplot- breaks old habits and any .do or .ado files.

I didn't do that lightly, and did consider other possibilities, e.g.
trying to be smart enough to recognise both syntaxes, but then that's a
pain too; or changing the name, but I like the name -catplot-, so there;
or some version control fudge, but that's not attractive either.

If you used -catplot- previously, you have choices:

1. You need not download the new files. But you're missing out on
learning what -catplot- can do.

2. You could just download the new files, but carefully rename them with
a name of your choice. But it's your program now!

3. You could just learn the new syntax. I think it's better, but then I
would, wouldn't I?

4. You could learn to program Stata; that way you need not be bitten by
user-programmer  caprices.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk