Re: st: Problem with xi (Stata 11)

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: Problem with xi (Stata 11)
Date   Wed, 2 Jun 2010 16:10:40 +0000

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Alan Riley <> wrote:
> Neil Shephard ( asked about the forthcoming
> fix to Stata 11 related to Ubuntu Linux 10.04:
>> I realise that the answer is the Linux equivalent to "How long is a
>> bit of string" given how many different distributions of Linux there
>> are, so I won't ask what about other distributions.
>> To phrase it differently what library is it that is affected and is it
>> one that is specifically modified by Ubuntu developers, or is it
>> further upstream by Debian developers (since Ubuntu is based on
>> Debian) or even further upstream with the library writers themselves?
>> I ask as I use a completely different flavour of Linux (Gentoo).
>> Either way thanks for quickly addressing this.
> The change was in the C standard library.  We are not aware of it
> occurring in any other distributions or versions of Linux.

So most likely the glibc-2.11.1 embedded package (detailed at ).

> However, the fix we put in place which will be in tomorrow's
> update will prevent the problem from occurring even if other
> Linux distributions, or indeed any other operating systems, make

Ok, thats a great reassurance, (presumably the relevant library will
be staticly linked as opposed to dynamically using the system lib).

Thanks for the information, looking forward to updating tomorrow.

"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he
rather gives his mind to each particular case in the light of his
evidence and his ideas." - Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1956)

Email -
Website -
Photos -