Re: st: Problem with xi (Stata 11)

From   ariley@stata.com (Alan Riley)
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Problem with xi (Stata 11)
Date   Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:54:29 -0500

Neil Shephard (nshephard@gmail.com) asked about the forthcoming
fix to Stata 11 related to Ubuntu Linux 10.04:
> I realise that the answer is the Linux equivalent to "How long is a
> bit of string" given how many different distributions of Linux there
> are, so I won't ask what about other distributions.
>
> To phrase it differently what library is it that is affected and is it
> one that is specifically modified by Ubuntu developers, or is it
> further upstream by Debian developers (since Ubuntu is based on
> Debian) or even further upstream with the library writers themselves?
>
> I ask as I use a completely different flavour of Linux (Gentoo).
>
> Either way thanks for quickly addressing this.

The change was in the C standard library.  We are not aware of it
occurring in any other distributions or versions of Linux.
However, the fix we put in place which will be in tomorrow's
update will prevent the problem from occurring even if other
Linux distributions, or indeed any other operating systems, make
a similar change in their C libraries.

--Alan
ariley@stata.com