Re: st: RE: RE: eivreg and deming

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: eivreg and deming
Date   Tue, 01 Jun 2010 23:16:51 +0200

Sorry about that....for the benefit of those who don't know the terms, by endogenous, I mean that the modeled independent variable correlates with the error term of the y equation. By exogenous I mean randomly varying (and does not correlate with the error term). Measurement error is a special case of endogeneity where x is actually exogenous; however, because of measurement error it correlates with the error term (thus rendering it endogenous). For those who wish to know more, here is a snippet from one of my papers where I explain this in more detail:

Suppose we intend to estimate the following model, where we intend to observe is a latent variable, x*:

y=b0+b1x*+e

However, instead of observing x*, which is exogenous and a theoretically “pure” or latent construct, we observe instead a not-so-perfect indicator or proxy of x*, which we call x (assume that x* is the IQ of leader i). This indicator consists of the true component (x*) in addition to an error term (u) as follows (see Cameron & Trivedi, 2005; Maddala, 1977):

x=x*+u, or
x*=x-u

Now substituting the above into the first equation gives:

y=b0+b1(x-u)+e

Expanding and rearranging the terms gives:

y=b0+b1x+(e-b1u)

As is evident, the coefficient of x will be inconsistent given that the full error term, which now includes measurement error too, is correlated with x. Note that measurement error in the y variable does not bias coefficients and is not an issue because it is absorbed in the error term of the regression model. Variables that are correlated with the problematically-measured variable will also be affected if the bias is not removed from x. By constraining the residual to (1-reliability)*Variance of x (Bollen, 1989), we can purge x from endogeneity bias.

Ref:
Bollen, K. A. (1989). Structural equations with latent variables. New York: Wiley. Cameron, A. C., & Trivedi, P. K. (2005). Microeconometrics: Methods and applications. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Maddala, G. S. (1977). Econometrics. New York: McGraw-Hill.

Best,
J.

Prof. John Antonakis, Associate Dean Faculty of Business and Economics
Department of Organizational Behavior
University of Lausanne
Internef #618
CH-1015 Lausanne-Dorigny