RE: st: How can I transfer the variable labels to excel using the outsheet command?

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: How can I transfer the variable labels to excel using the outsheet command?
Date   Thu, 27 May 2010 12:28:16 +0100

This has never been my problem, but I can think of one work-around.

Assuming the number of observations is at least as great as the number of variables, you could copy the variable labels into a string variable and export that too.

unab vars : *
gen varlabel = ""
local i = 1

foreach v of local vars {
	replace varlabel = `"`: var label `v''"' in `i'
	local ++i

I don't know how you'd reverse that in Excel. You would have a column of variable labels. I understand that Excel users like to have such stuff as a row.

A Loumiotis

Yes what I'm actually doing is creating a csv file and i'm using excel
to open it.

But my problem with the variable labels still remain.  My concern is
not with the value labels of a categorical variable (which I know how
to export to a csv file) but with the variable labels of the variable

For example I have used:

label variable var01 "this is variable one"

to create the variable label "this is variable one" for variable var01.

What I want is to export to a csv file not only the variable names but
also the variable labels.