Re: st: How can I transfer the variable labels to excel using the outsheet command?

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: How can I transfer the variable labels to excel using the outsheet command?
Date   Thu, 27 May 2010 10:39:50 +0000

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM, A Loumiotis
<> wrote:
> Dear Statalist,
> When I use the outsheet command the variable names but not the
> variable labels are transferred to excel.
> Is there any way to also transfer the variable labels to excel?

As per the Statalist FAQ, it would be useful if you provided the
_exact_ command you are using.

1. -outsheet- does not have the capacity to write Excel files.  I
suspect you are writing to a CSV (Comma Separate Variables) file and
on your OS (I'll hazard a guess at some M$-Windows variant) this file
extension is associated with M$-Excel so that when double-clicked on
it opens up in that program.

2. The -outsheet- command should be default write out variables that
have labels applied to them using the labels themselves, unless you
have explicitly specified the -nolabel- option (as explained in -man

So, without knowing what you are doing I suspect you mistakenly using
the -outsheet using filename.csv, comma nolabel- (or similar) syntax,
and if you omit the -nolabel- option you should obtain what you are

"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he
rather gives his mind to each particular case in the light of his
evidence and his ideas." - Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1956)

Email -
Website -
Photos -