st: Exporting summary tables, appending a column

Subject   st: Exporting summary tables, appending a column
Date   Mon, 24 May 2010 18:08:13 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

I'm trying to learn how to generate print-ready table outputs, so I can automate it in a document.
Specifically, I wondered what is a feasible way to achieve the following design:

			| group1    | group2   | group3   | group2+group3
var1		| mean      | mean      | mean     | mean

var2		| mean      | mean      | mean     | mean

observation 	| count      | count      | count      | count

So far, my closest approach included the -esttab- command:

. estpost tabstat fue fuepriv, by(cut) s(n mean) c(s) listwise nototal

. esttab using "tables/est", main(mean %12.0fc) aux(count) ///
	noobs nogaps nonote nomtitles nonumbers nostar ~etc.

However, (#1) the aux() adds a row underneath every variable and, more importantly, (#2) appending a column seems impossible to me.

Department of Small Business Research & Entrepreneurship
Institute for Small Business Research
University of Mannheim
L9, 1-2
68161 Mannheim