RE: st: RE: Error Message: r3900 - Problem with Memory of my Computer system ?!

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Error Message: r3900 - Problem with Memory of my Computer system ?!
Date   Sun, 16 May 2010 13:31:11 +0200

<>

To implement Kit`s proposal, Pascal could qualify his -cmp- call via

***********
if runiform()<.01
***********

Since he said he has 10.1, this should work.

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Kit Baum
Sent: Sonntag, 16. Mai 2010 13:29
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: re:st: RE: Error Message: r3900 - Problem with Memory of my
Computer system ?!

<>
Pascal said

Martin gave me the extremely helpful advice to use the "cmp" command to
implement a three-stage selection model. So far it works fine. However, when
modeling the three-stage system with two selection equations and 1,000,000
observations I get the following error message when cmp tries to estimate
the combined model:

<istmt>:  3900  unable to allocate real <tmp>[1224521,46]
r(3900);

I already allocated the maximum memory (1000m) and matsize (10,000) to
STATA. I still get this error message.

So you have an idea how to solve the memory problem?

By my calculations that single matrix is about 4.2 Gb, so unless you have
access to a system where you can allocate
5 or 6 Gb to Stata, you have no hope of solving this problem. What happens
if you try to estimate the model with
10000 observations rather than a  million?

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |
http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html