st: Multiple correspondence analysis & PCA with ordinal variables

From   Owen Corrigan <>
Subject   st: Multiple correspondence analysis & PCA with ordinal variables
Date   Thu, 13 May 2010 17:33:39 +0100

I am trying to extract a single index from a set of 7/8 ordinal
variables measured over three categories (low, med, high). I
understand that MCA (multiple correspondence analysis) is an analogue
of PCA (principal components analysis) for categorical/ordinal data,
and so have been using that in Stata 10. My concern is that I am not
properly 'telling' Stata that the data is ordinal, and thus Stata may
not be taking into account that category 3 > category 2 > category 1.
I have read through the help file and options, but see no way to
'force ordinality' on the program; so I am worried that the analysis
is merely treating each of the categories of the variables as
independent, and not related.

Is there a way to force ordinality? Should I be using a different method?
All assistance greatly appreciated.