Re: st: restricting Stata to behave as Small Stata

Subject   Re: st: restricting Stata to behave as Small Stata
Date   Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:35:36 -0500

I can imagine that some programs generate enough -tempvar-s to exceed
the limits of Small Stata. E.g., scores for -_robust- estimation in
large models may cause problems. I ran into this recently in my own
work: a dataset of barely 30M generates enough crap for 300M in my
variance estimation problem. In a way, this is a scalability issue: if
you run -regress, _robust- with five predictors, you'll be totally
fine, but if you run it with 60 (out of 80 variables in the data set),
you hit Small Stata limits. The problem kinda reminds me of the Apollo
13 (real event and the movie) when the astronauts were setting up the
startup sequence so as not to exceed the capacity of the system.
(Thanks to Phil Schumm who brought me recently to an event with Apollo
13 survivors! :) )

As a user-programmer, I frankly cannot think off the top of my head of
other situations where this might be a problem... at least in the
programs I worked on lately.