RE: st: RE: RE: RE: Undocumented limitation of describe (and hence -ds-) in Stata 10?

Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: Undocumented limitation of describe (and hence -ds-) in Stata 10?
Date   Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:02:16 +0200

<>

"I don't have access to Nick's article, unfortunately, so I don't know if
he indicates where this is documented."

The article says that it is documented in [U], 18.3.4, where you would find
the following:

" Stata's expression parser is limited to handling strings of 244
characters. Strings longer than that are truncated.
The copy operation ... is not limited-it can copy up to the maximum length
of
a macro, which is currently 165,200 characters...", and it goes on to state
that for Stata MP, there is virtually no limit.

"I also don't see anything explaining why/how r(varlist) and other r()
macros are sometimes treated like local macros and sometimes not. It's
not obvious to me why the first command below is valid while the second
is not:

local x "`r(varlist)'"
di `:length local r(varlist)'"

That is really because there are no "r() macros". -macro-s come into being
in the way you show in the upper line of your code, and as explained in -h
macro-. The lower line sets of a frantic search for a -local- of the name
"r(varlist)" which cannot be found. Even if you tried to name a -local-
"r(varlist)", you would fail:

***
clear*
local r(varlist) hello good-bye
di "`r(varlist)'"
di "`r'"
***

BTW, where is the supposed place where r-results are treated like -local-
-macro-s? -display- is very, very special, since it takes an -expression- as
an argument, which brings out the contents of an r-result, whether you
derefernce or not (also see Nick`s
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-01/msg00834.html):

***
sysuse auto, clear