st: Undocumented limitation of describe (and hence -ds-) in Stata 10?

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <>
Subject   st: Undocumented limitation of describe (and hence -ds-) in Stata 10?
Date   Tue, 06 Apr 2010 13:06:15 -0400

I found out the hard way that the r(varlist) macro result returned by -describe, varlist- (and hence -ds- and Nick Cox's -ds3-) is limited to 243 characters, at least on my computer running Stata 10. Is there a Stata setting I need to change? The help page says something about -maxvar-, but this doesn't seem like it should matter, and in any event doubling -maxvar- has on effect on this result. If this is not a settings issue, has it been fixed in Stata 11? Thanks.

forvalues i = 1/26 {
   gen byte testvar`i' = .
d, varlist
di r(varlist)
local x = r(varlist)
di `:length local x'

Michael I. Lichter, Ph.D. <>
Research Assistant Professor & NRSA Fellow
UB Department of Family Medicine / Primary Care Research Institute
UB Clinical Center, 462 Grider Street, Buffalo, NY 14215
Office: CC 126 / Phone: 716-898-4751 / FAX: 716-898-3536