RE: st: Re: Scatterplot of mean values

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Re: Scatterplot of mean values
Date   Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:31:31 +0100

-egen, tag()- is an automated way of getting Antoine's -ok- variable. (His method is certainly OK.)

Antoine Terracol

you could generate the means and then plot them

sysuse auto, clear
bysort rep78 : egen m_mpg=mean(mpg)
bysort rep78 : egen m_weight=mean(weight)
twoway scatter m_mpg m_weight

here each observation contribute to the plot, which could thus take time
to draw. You could limit yourself to one obs per group using

bysort rep78 : gen ok=(_n==1)
and then
twoway scatter m_mpg m_weight if ok