Re: st: RE: problem with _request()

From   Michael Norman Mitchell <Michael.Norman.Mitchell@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: problem with _request()
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:11:59 -0700

Dear Nick

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for both the answer and the underlying history. That is both helpful and informative!

Michael N. Mitchell
See the Stata tidbit of the week at...
http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

On 2010-03-17 10.44 AM, Nick Cox wrote:
Not well explained, but it defines a global not a local: $macname not
`macname'

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Michael Norman Mitchell

    In a recent post, Carl had troubles using "display _request()". I
have need for this and am also having troubles with this.

    I have a simple do-file named test.do

---- test.do ----
display "What is your name?" _request(yourname)
display "`yourname'"
---- test.do ----

    When I run this, I expect it to display my name back. But this is
what I get...

. do test.do
. display "What is your name?" _request(yourname)
What is your name?. Michael
. display "`yourname'"

.
end of do-file

    Am I using this incorrectly? Can anyone else confirm this as a
problem?