st: problem with _request()

From   Michael Norman Mitchell <>
Subject   st: problem with _request()
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:35:59 -0700

In a recent post, Carl had troubles using "display _request()". I have need for this and am also having troubles with this.

  I have a simple do-file named

---- ----
display "What is your name?" _request(yourname)
display "`yourname'"
---- ----

When I run this, I expect it to display my name back. But this is what I get...

. do
. display "What is your name?" _request(yourname)
What is your name?. Michael
. display "`yourname'"

end of do-file

  Am I using this incorrectly? Can anyone else confirm this as a problem?

Many thanks,

Michael N. Mitchell
See the Stata tidbit of the week at...