st: RE: problem with _request()

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: problem with _request()
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:44:25 -0000

Not well explained, but it defines a global not a local: $macname not

Michael Norman Mitchell

   In a recent post, Carl had troubles using "display _request()". I
have need for this and am also having troubles with this.

   I have a simple do-file named

---- ----
display "What is your name?" _request(yourname)
display "`yourname'"
---- ----

   When I run this, I expect it to display my name back. But this is
what I get...

. do
. display "What is your name?" _request(yourname)
What is your name?. Michael
. display "`yourname'"

end of do-file

   Am I using this incorrectly? Can anyone else confirm this as a