re: Re: st: RE: problem with factor variable and margins.

From   Christopher Baum <>
Subject   re: Re: st: RE: problem with factor variable and margins.
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:35:08 -0400

Rich said

I think I have tracked down the problem.  In addition to the factor
variable nainc, I have a continuous variable nainc_ainc as a regressor
(which is the indicator times a continuous variable).  The margins
command then got confused and assumed that nainc was an abbreviation for
nainc_ainc, which did appear in the results and subsequent tests.  When
I rename nainc_ainc as n2ainc_ainc, my problem goes away -- a marginal
effect for the discrete change in the factor variable nainc does indeed
show up in the results.

If I am right in diagnosing why the rename solves the problem, this
means there is a bug in stata's margins.  It is not reporting an
ambiguous abbreviation, it is simply picking one.  Should I report it to
stata's tech staff, or is that something you do, Martin?

Although there may indeed be a need for revision of -margins- code, I am curious if you would get this
same error if you did

set varabbrev, off

I would recommend

set varabbrev off, permanent

Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics and DIW Berlin   |
An Introduction to Stata Programming   |
An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata   |