st: Does it need to control industry if the concerned variable has been adjusted by industry?

From   gjhxmu@sina.com
To   statalist<statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Does it need to control industry if the concerned variable has been adjusted by industry?
Date   Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:25:25 +0800

Dear statalists,
One variable is characteristic of industry, so I adjust it with the median or mean value of industry.
Then does it need to control industry as regressors if the concerned variable is a dependent variable or an independent variable?
I have tried in stata.However,it is still unclear to me.
What is the difference? or what is the point?

Thank you for any help.
Best regards,
Rose