st: Assigning sex by order of birth

From   Cinzia Rienzo <C.Rienzo@rhul.ac.uk>
To   =?646?q?stata_=3F=3F?= <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Assigning sex by order of birth
Date   Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:46:44 +0000 (GMT)

Dear All,

I have some difficulties in creating variables for children in the
family accounting for their sex and order of birth; in other words I
want to create the following variables:
“Boy1st” if   First child born is male;
“Girl1st” if First child born is female
“boy2nd” if Second child born is male
“girl2nd” if Second child born is female   and so on.

I tried with the “egen rank”  to create order using the reverse of  the
age of children in families:
bysort year family: g agechil=age if member ==”child”
bysort year family: g agechil reversed= agechil*-1
bysort  year  serial : egen rank_var = rank(agechil reversed)

 But when I Tab the rank it gives me: 1; 1.5 ; 2;  2.5;  3; 3.5…..
My question is:  How can I assign the sex by order of birth in families
using the rank given that the age of first child and numbers of
children vary by families?
As in the example below the first child in family 1 is 12 year old and
the first child in family 2 is 9.

Family    age of child         sex
   1            12                 male
   1             5                  female
   1             2                  female
   2             9                  female
   2             7                  female
   2             4                  male
   2             1                  female

I appreciate any helps and/or suggestions.

Best

Cinzia

------
Cinzia