st: RE: Assigning sex by order of birth

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Assigning sex by order of birth
Date   Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:22:52 +0100

<>

*************
clear*

inp byte(Family age_child sex:mylabel), auto
   1            12                 male
   1             5                  female
   1             2                  female
   2             9                  female
   2             7                  female
   2             4                  male
   2             1                  female
   3			2		male
   3			5		male
end

bys Family (age_child): gen byte Boy1st=(_n==1)*(sex==1)
by Family (age_child): gen byte Girl1st=(_n==1)*(sex==2)
by Family (age_child): gen byte Boy2nd=(_n==2)*(sex==1)
by Family (age_child): gen byte Girl2nd=(_n==2)*(sex==2)
l, sepby(Family ) noo

HTH
Martin