st: svyset, fpc command and stratified cluster sampling

From   Pierre DeBeaudrap <>
Subject   st: svyset, fpc command and stratified cluster sampling
Date   Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:56:21 +0300

Dear stata list,

I plan to analyse data from a community survey with cluster sampling and I
am not completely sure of the way to setup setsvy.

The study design is a stratified two stage cluster sampling. The strata wer=
=93urban=94 and =93rural=94, then villages (psu) were sampled with a probab=
proportional to the number of households. In the second stage, 30 household=
were randomly selected per village.

We don=92t know the population size of the villages but we know the populat=
size of each stratum and this figures are more reliable than the number of

Svyset village [pw=3Dproba], strata(urban) fpc( )

For fpc do I have to enter the number of clusters per strata or the
population size for each strata.

Is there any further information I can provide for the level 2?

Thanks in advance for any help,