Re: st: how to choose the # for --set seed #--

From   "Clyde Schechter" <clyde.schechter@einstein.yu.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: how to choose the # for --set seed #--
Date   Sat, 6 Mar 2010 07:01:35 -0800

<>

In addition to using the random number generators for simulations, I rely
on them to generate group assignments for randomized studies.  That
requires that my random number sequence be both reproducible for
documentation purposes, and also unpredictable by the study staff, even if
they have Stata (which they often do).

So I avoid using predictable things like the current date or somebody's
birthday.  My practice has been, when writing the -set seed- command, to
take out my wallet, pull out the currency note at the front and use its
serial number (stripping out any letters) as the seed.

Clyde Schechter, MA MD
Associate Professor of Family & Social Medicine

Please note new e-mail address: clyde.schechter@einstein.yu.edu