st: RE: status of -ds- command

From   "Philip Ryan" <philip.ryan@adelaide.edu.au>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: status of -ds- command
Date   Wed, 3 Mar 2010 13:18:45 +1030

I think the suite of extended macro functions would replace most (?all) of
what -ds- does, but old habits die hard so I often use -ds-.

In Raoul's case, use of the  format <varname>  extended function (in a
-foreach var- loop) would do the job, assuming variables had been formatted
appropriately.

Phil

Philip Ryan
University of Adelaide

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Michael Norman
Mitchell
Sent: Wednesday, 3 March 2010 12:59 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: status of -ds- command

Greetings

   The question from Raoul raised a question for me. I have noticed that
the -ds- command is no longer an official part of Stata (as of version
9). The -ds- command is amazing in how powerful (yet simple) it is. Does
anyone know why -ds- is no longer "official"... has it been replaced by
something else I am not aware of?

Many thanks,

Michael N. Mitchell
See the Stata tidbit of the week at...