RE: st: Seeing Double - issues with quotation marks

From   "Craig, Benjamin M." <Benjamin.Craig@moffitt.org>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Seeing Double - issues with quotation marks
Date   Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:46:41 -0500

Thank you for the MS Word fix. I was hoping to find a way to fix it in
Stata.

Based on your explanation, it seems that Word can infects Stata's text
editor. Too bad that there is no vaccine. I restarted Stata, so I am
good for now.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Daniel Miller
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 1:14 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Seeing Double - issues with quotation marks

You have to change the way the Word handles the " ".

In Word 2007 for Windows,click on the office symbol, and click on "Word
Options"
Under the "Proofing" sub-menu, click on "AutoCorrect Options"
click the "AutoFormat as you type" tab
and uncheck the replace "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" option.

Sorry, I don't know the exact process for Mac Word, but it should be
relatively similar.
You may have to go through and find and replace all old quote marks
before re-pasting into the do-file.

Dan

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Craig, Benjamin M. <
Benjamin.Craig@moffitt.org> wrote:

> I made the error of cutting and pasting text from Microsoft into the
> Do-file Editor of Stata MP 9.2 (Stata 11 should arrive any day now).
> Now, whenever I type a double quotation mark, the symbol is no longer
> the apl double quotation mark (HTML coding entity &quot;). Instead, it

> is a common quotation mark (&rdquo). For examples, see
> http://www.intuitive.com/coolweb/entities.html
>
> The common quotation version is not recognized by Stata, and you get
> the ironic error:
>
> '"A"' found where almost anything else expected
>
> Two simple fixes are to restart stata (which reverts to the APL) or
> copy an old apl quotation mark and pasted when you need a quotation. I

> found that if I simply open another editor, the new editor still uses
> the common quotation marks (&rdquo).
>
> Has anyone else had this problem and might Stata fix it in the next
> release?
>
> At least by posting this the next person will know why they are
> frustrated.
>
> Ben
>

> This transmission may be confidential or protected from disclosure and

> is only for review and use by the intended recipient. Access by anyone

> else is unauthorized. Any unauthorized reader is hereby notified that
> any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this
> information, or any act or omission taken in reliance on it, is
> prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately.