RE: st: R for Stata Users

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: R for Stata Users
Date   Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:48:58 -0000

The Tolkien allusion will divide the world, but sailing West was neither
a reward nor a punishment for bad language.

But Tolkien is to the point as well. He also wrote

"Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have
found it boring, absurd, or contemptible, and I have no cause to
complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds
of writing that they evidently prefer."

That is a line of defence for any author(s).

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Airey, David C

I only count one, maybe two colorful words in my post, Nick. If I am to
diminish and go on to the Western shores with the Elves, so be it.

I use R. One of the cool things I learned recently was the use of arrays
(not matrices) to neatly collect simulation results, where each address
can hold anything (scalar, vector, matrix, list). Anyway, I hope this
text will do more to allow it to complement the use of Stata than the
description suggests.

And maybe not so obviously, since Dr. Hilbe is awesome, I'm itching to
see a review, a PDF preview chapter, or the book on my desk. Just a
little disappointed in the description.

It just occurred to me to check out the R for SAS/SPSS users version...

-Dave

> Joe Hilbe has been a member of this list. I do not know Robert
Muenchen.