st: creating variables using 'by' for subsets of records

From   John Westbury <>
Subject   st: creating variables using 'by' for subsets of records
Date   Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:55:25 -0600

I have records for individuals by geographic region and wish to aggregate
the records for individuals to records for geographic regions.  I believe I
should create variables for those regions using 'by'.  Ex: by Region gen x =
argument for variable.  I am having difficulty with arguments for variable
x.  For example I wish to create a region variable that expresses a ratio of
count of indicator values for individuals in a region to a count of
individuals in the region and am unsure how to code this.