st: RE: creating variables using 'by' for subsets of records

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: creating variables using 'by' for subsets of records
Date   Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:29:58 +0100

In the absence of example data, it is hard to give you advice. Look at this
calculation of regional unemployment rates:

//10 regions
set obs 10
gen byte region=_n

//50 indiv per region
expand 50
bys region: gen byte id=_n
gen byte unemployed=runiform()>.9

bys region: gen number=_N
by region: egen numofunempl=total(unemployed)

gen unemprate=numofunempl/number