Re: st: re: Adding the marginal effects at individual values of

From   Richard Williams <Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.edu>
Subject   Re: st: re: Adding the marginal effects at individual values of
Date   Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:55:50 -0500

At 10:06 AM 2/21/2010, Kit Baum wrote:
Although it is possible to calculate the slope of the probit function for each individual (and that is what is going on in the calculation of average marginal effects) and transform it to an individual-level marginal effect, it is not possible to compute an interval estimate from a sample of size 1: that is, you will not be able to consider the precision of the values. If you calculate an AME from a number of observations, you can.

Kit

The old -adjust- command has been superceded by -margins-. Given that -adjust- has a generate option, I wonder why -margins- does not?

Personally, I wish -adjust- had been updated for Stata 11. -margins- may be able to do most of the same things, but the command can be a little overwhelming -- adjust was pretty straightfoward.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam