Re: st: how to summarize while accounting for duplicate values

From   Jeph Herrin <junk@spandrel.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: how to summarize while accounting for duplicate values
Date   Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:19:12 -0500

If your individuals are identified by the variable -id-,
then create an indicator for one record per -id-:

  bys id: egen first=_n==1

Then all you have to do is condition on -first-

 sum birthday if first

to get summary stats on one record per individual.

hth,
Jeph

dstahler@ucla.edu wrote:
I am trying to summarize a dataset in Stata 10.1 on individuals' reproductive success throughout their life. The database is set up with each individual having an annual entry with multiple variables. Some variables' values change annually (e.g. # offspring born), while other variables have duplicated values for each year as they do not change over the course of their life (e.g. age of first reproduction, lifespan). How do I get Stata to provide summary statistics for chosen variables of interest in the population that accounts for individuals' duplicated values for some variables that don't change annually?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan