Re: st: Pie chart problem

From (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
Subject   Re: st: Pie chart problem
Date   Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:45:04 -0600

Philip Burgess <> has rediscovered a bug when using
option -by()- with -graph pie- and when the number of pie slices differs
across categories.  Actually, the conditions are more specific than just that,
but difficult difficult to explain.  Phillip writes,

> [...] I get the following error message:
> plabel[1-2+1].style.ref: class type not found
> r(4018);

I say rediscovered because Nick Cox <> notes that he
previously reported the same bug.  I have found that bug report, will dust it
off, and we will get a fix in a future update.  I admit that I have been
ignoring my weekly reminder to fix that bug for more than a few weeks.  The
fix will not be in the very next update because that box is closed.

I would like to expand on Nick Cox's suggested workaround,

> As work-around is to spell out separate -plabel()- calls.

I believe Philip's graph will work if he replaces -plabel(_all ...)- with
-plabel(1 ...) plabel(2 ...)  plabel(3 ...)- and so on, until he has
individually specified enough labels for all the pie slices.  He can even
specify -plabel(# ...)- for slices that do not exist.  It is the bookkeeping
for -_all- that fails in the face of varying numbers of slices for by groups
and leads to the ugly, not for public consumption, error message.

-- Vince