st: RE: thanks and a comment

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: thanks and a comment
Date   Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:32:43 +0100

"... reading the appropriate sections of the manual is a very good (if not
mandatory) idea."

And it has become so much easier with the ingenious pdf manuals in 11: All
at your fingertips. I do have all the physical manuals sitting on my shelf.
Recently, a colleague of mine remarked how unused they looked. And it is
true: My consumption of manual content has gone up an estimated 40% since
the pdfs have been around, yet all I ever look at is the electronic manuals.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Lachenbruch,
Sent: Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2010 18:30
To: ''
Subject: st: thanks and a comment

I've been intending to send an e-bouquet of roses to the frequent
contributors to this list who do a tremendous amount of work for the rest of

These would include Nick Cox, Maarten Buis, Martin Weiss, Kit Baum, Steve
Samuels and the Stata Staff.

The comment is that about a year or so ago, Nick commented that one should
(re)read the User's Guide about once a year.  I took the advice and learned
a lot.  Recently, I was doing some graphics programming and embarked on
reading the Graphics manual.  That was an eye-opener to me.  I suspect that
when one is working on any particular problem/command, reading the
appropriate sections of the manual is a very good (if not mandatory) idea.

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330