RE: st: quick question

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   RE: st: quick question
Date   Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:53:02 -0800

After looking a bit, I realized that in addition to OTHER_RASH, I had OTHER_RASH1 -OTHER_RASH4 in the data set, and this messed me up.  Also in the conversion with destring, there were apparently some non-numeric characters in the picture.  So problem seems solved.

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:05 AM
Subject: RE: st: quick question

I agree with Martin. There is no reason for -split- to choke on the
variable name. The original author of -split- agrees too. There is some
other reason for Tony's problem here.

Martin Weiss

" many solutions used the split command - it choked on the variable
other_rash - apparently it didn't like the underscore.  I renamed the
variable otherrash and it sort of worked, but gave me some strings and
numeric.  "

I do not buy the story about the underscore. Either a variable name is
(according to the conventions set out in [U], 11.3), then all Stata
will accept it "no questions asked", or it is not, which would prompt
to reject it the moment you try to introduce it.