RE: st: Collapse with sum function and missing values

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Collapse with sum function and missing values
Date   Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:25:37 -0000

Something like this?

local i = 1
foreach v of varlist <whatever> {
	local call `call' (sum) `v' (count) nonmiss`i' = `v'
	local ++i

collapse `call', by(group)

local i = 1
quietly foreach v of varlist <whatever> {
	replace `v' = . if nonmiss`i' == 0
	local ++i

Michael Mitchell

Thanks all, both for the general thoughts on the underlying rationale
for this, as well as the practical suggestions. As some noted, I could
do this...

. collapse (sum) x (count) nonmiss=x, by(group)
. replace x=. if nonmiss==0

I have about 100 "x" values, and there is no pattern to the names. All
methods I can think of for ensuring that the "x" values are . when all
members of the group are . involve either substantial typing or a fair
amount of programming. Am I overlooking a simple solution for this?