RE: st: AW: estout "could not open file"

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: AW: estout "could not open file"
Date   Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:42:16 -0000

Thanks to Kit and Eric for their confirmation. I remain mystified about
what was Jamil's problem, as his proffered solution seems to throw no
light on why what was done earlier did not work.

Kit Baum

Nick said

Second, the implication here seems to be that " " are essential on OS X
even if a filename contains no embedded spaces. I don't have OS X to
test that (my loss) but I'd be surprised if that were true.

So Nick will not be surprised to see that no quotes are 'essential':

. estout using /users/baum/documents/stata/blahblah.txt
(output written to /users/baum/documents/stata/blahblah.txt)

They are essential on any *nix system (incl Mac OS X) if and only if
there are embedded spaces in the filespec.