re: st: AW: estout "could not open file"

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   re: st: AW: estout "could not open file"
Date   Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:35:56 -0500

Nick said

Second, the implication here seems to be that " " are essential on OS X
even if a filename contains no embedded spaces. I don't have OS X to
test that (my loss) but I'd be surprised if that were true.

So Nick will not be surprised to see that no quotes are 'essential':

. estout using /users/baum/documents/stata/blahblah.txt
(output written to /users/baum/documents/stata/blahblah.txt)

They are essential on any *nix system (incl Mac OS X) if and only if there are embedded spaces in the filespec.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |