Re: st: AW: estout "could not open file"

From   Eric Booth <>
Subject   Re: st: AW: estout "could not open file"
Date   Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:41:46 -0600

On Feb 10, 2010, at 10:47 AM, Nick Cox wrote:

> Second, the implication here seems to be that " " are essential on OS X
> even if a filename contains no embedded spaces. I don't have OS X to
> test that (my loss) but I'd be surprised if that were true.

You are right--you do not need double quotes around a file path in OSX if there no
embedded spaces, the filepaths in Stata commands function in OSX just as they do
in Windows.

  @Jonna:   You might want to look at this thread:

Though this solution is Windows based, you could change the shell "attrib" command
to something like:

      !chmod a+w  "/user/username/filenamehere.txt"

*see this website for more on options for changing read/write attributes in OSX:

Finally, this could be a permissions issue for that file/folder, use disk utility to check for this:

~ Eric

Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University