Statalist

st: RE: Heterogeneity Index

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Heterogeneity Index
Date   Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:10:19 -0000

I can't see a way to answer this precisely without an idea of what index you have in mind. -egen- supports many alternatives to the standard deviation. Otherwise it may be that you seek some so-called nonparametric test.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Diego Bellavia

I would like to measure the amount of variability I have for one specific measure in 2 different groups
of patients. of course I could use the standard deviation for that but I would like also to
create an index of that variability and be able to compare that index between the 2 groups with a formal stat test.
Note that in this case I am not interested in central tendency measures (mean or median) but just in a way to quantitate
the variability, present that as an index and compare among 2 (or more) groups.