st: RE: Summarizing data by Timestamps

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Summarizing data by Timestamps
Date   Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:15:11 -0000

Create a variable that is just the hour, rounded up or down according to taste. -egen- will then be able to cope.

Diego Bellavia

I have such a dataset:

Timestamp           Pressure
11/22/09 00:00        120
11/22/09 00:01        123
11/22/09 00:02        119
11/22/09 00:03        115
11/22/09 00:09        123
11/22/09 00:10        122
11/22/09 00:22        112

etc...

As you see, Pressure values are reported by time (defined as a timestamp) every minute.
Unfortunately, the system is not so precise to collect pressure every single minute so,
I do not necessarily have 60 measures in 1 hour.
Now I would like to compute averages for Pressure every pre-spcified time range, starting, as exmaple,
with ana average of all the values collected between 00:00 and 01:00 on 11/22/2009 but also being able to
change the time range from 1 hour, to 4 or 6 hours and so on.

How can I do that in STATA, considering that I do not know how many measure are collected per hour ?