R: st: highly skewed, highly zeroed data

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: st: highly skewed, highly zeroed data
Date   Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:28:56 +0100

<Conversely, my instinct is that a gamma distribution as suggested by Carlo
Lazzaro does not look quite right for that kind of distribution, unless it
makes sense for the positive values only>.

Admittedly, as Nick pointed out, Jason's dataset reports an impressive
frequency of 0 observations (518 out of 647).
My previous suggestion about Gamma distribution comes from my experience in
dealing with health care related costs, whose distribution is usually
right-skewed. The main reasons for these behaviour are the following (for
two interesting references, please see:
- Briggs, A. and Nixon, R. and Dixon, S. and Thompson, S. (2005). Parametric
modelling of cost data: some simulation evidence. Health Economics 14(4):pp.
421-428; free downloadable at http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/4151/;
- Briggs A, Sculpher M, Claxton K. Decision Modelling for Health Economic
Evaluation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006: 77-120):

- some patients may drop dead just a little bit after being enrolled in a
given arm of a given clinical trial. Hence, they accrue 0 costs;
- on the contrary, some patients may accrue a lot of cost due to, say,
adverse effects to a given therapy that are expensive to cure.

However, and Nick's remarks highlights a very tricky (and still unresolved)
issue), no one in our research field have ever issued (and I would assume
that this task is quite impossible to be accomplished) a guidance about the
quantitative meaning of "substantial proportion of zero observations"
(Briggs A, Clarke P, Polsky D, Glick H. Modelling the cost of health care
interventions. Paper prepared for DEEM III: Costing Methods for Economic
Evaluation. University of Aberdeen, 15-16th April 2003) in cost
distributions.

Eventually, I do hope that I will never come across in a data set like this
in my next economic evaluation of health care programmes!!

Kind Regards,
Carlo