st: Generating random numbers

From   "Barth Riley" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Generating random numbers
Date   Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:34:40 -0600

I have written a program in Stata to create several datasets containing
simulated item response values, which are based on randomly generated item
response theory parameters. I am finding that the randomly generated
parameters for each dataset are following a predictable pattern (one set of
parameter values for odd-numbered datasets; another set of values for
even-numbered datasets). I have been using the set seed command to try to
avoid this repetitive pattern, for example:

local sd = `j' * int(uniform() * 1000)
set seed `sd'
local b = invnormal(uniform())

Where `j' is a forvalues counter variable. Is there a better way to do this?