RE: st: AW: New -panels- package available from SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: AW: New -panels- package available from SSC
Date   Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:16:39 -0000

While we can discuss, and even argue about, Stata conventions, one of
the key points about user-written programs is that users are in charge
in a double sense:

1. User-programmers get to choose their own syntax, subject to Stata's
own rules.

2. Other user-programmers can change what they don't like, subject to
constraints of etiquette and intellectual property.

Or -- in short, if you don't like it, clone it and change it but don't
claim it.

Martin Weiss

"Yes, it's hazardous. -panels- expects users know what they're doing."

Another hazard could be the fact that a mere "r" is sufficient to allow
Stata to overwrite existing variables which is not quite in keeping with
spirit of [U], section 11.2.2.: "To allow Stata to overwrite the
you would type save mydata, replace. replace may not be abbreviated." In
this case we are talking about a variable, not a dataset, but still...

webuse nlswork, clear
panels idcode, gen(mycount)
//overwrite w/o prompt to user...
panels idcode, gen(mycount) r