Re: st: Creating post-stratification weights for use in Stata & other software

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Creating post-stratification weights for use in Stata & other software
Date   Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:03:20 -0400

Michael, post-stratification is pretty easy, because it deals with
only one set of control totals; and so the theory is basically that of
stratified sampling, with added variability because sample sizes in
the post-strata are not fixed in advance. The standard sampling book
treatments treat this well.

However most practitioners will balance on more than one set of
control totals at a time ("raking") or will calibrate to population
totals using Generalized Regression (GREG).  For raking, the best
guide I've found is:

Battaglia, M.P., Izrael,D., Hoaglin,D.C., and Frankel, M.R.(2006)
Practical Considerations in Raking Survey Data. Available at:
http://www.abtassociates.com/presentations/raking_survey_data_2_JOS.pdf

For some theoretical background, see:

RJA Little and M-M Wu (1991).  Models for Contingency Tables with
Known Margins When Target and Sampled Populations Differ. Journal of
the American Statistical Association, 86:412, 87-95.

What I miss from most post-survey weight adjustments, especially
non-response adjustment by modeling, is an assessment of  variability
added by having to estimate the weights.

--
Steven Samuels
[email protected]