Re: st: Creating post-stratification weights for use in Stata & other software

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Creating post-stratification weights for use in Stata & other software
Date   Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:45:15 -0400

Carolina,

I didn't look very closely at the e-mail in the archive, but it seems OK. It would be easier, however, to use the undocumented -svygen poststratify- command in Stata 10 and 11 or the user-written -survwgt- package ("findit survwgt") (which also does raking and is a bit more flexible if also more complex).

Note that if you use a sub-package that supports pweights, like the SPSS complex samples (CS*) routines, you should get the same results as in Stata if your tabulations are for the whole sample. For subsamples, results may differ because Stata svy poststratification will adjust the weights for the subsetting in a way that the other package will not.

-----
sysuse auto
gen count = 100 if foreign ==0
replace count = 120 if foreign == 1
svyset, poststrata(foreign) postweight(count)
svy: tab foreign, count
svygen poststratify pswt, poststrata(foreign) postweight(count)
svyset [pw=pswt]
svy: tab foreign, count
-----

Michael

Carolina Herrera wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am working with a very simple random sample that we've post-stratified using the standard commands in Stata (poststrata postweight fpc). A colleague would also like to use the dataset, but he doesn't work in Stata and wanted a version that could be used in any other statistical package (SPSS, SAS, R, etc.).

After hunting around on the statalist archives I found a post explaining how to manually calculate post-stratification weights: (http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-11/msg00152.html) which, I think suggested I treat these post-stratification weights like pweights and that these pweights could then be implemented in Stata (or elsewhere) to get the same point-estimators and standard errors.
Is that the correct way to implement simple post-stratification without using Stata's post-stratification commands?

many thanks, Carolina

Carolina Herrera
Statistician
Center for the Health Professions
UCSF

--
Michael I. Lichter, Ph.D. <[email protected]>
Research Assistant Professor & NRSA Fellow