st: Creating post-stratification weights for use in Stata & other software

From   "Carolina Herrera" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Creating post-stratification weights for use in Stata & other software
Date   Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:09:33 -0700

Hello everyone,

I am working with a very simple random sample that we've post-stratified using the standard commands in Stata (poststrata postweight fpc). A colleague would also like to use the dataset, but he doesn't work in Stata and wanted a version that could be used in any other statistical package (SPSS, SAS, R, etc.).

After hunting around on the statalist archives I found a post explaining how to manually calculate post-stratification weights:
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-11/msg00152.html) which, I think suggested I treat these post-stratification weights like pweights and that these pweights could then be implemented in Stata (or elsewhere) to get the same point-estimators and standard errors.

Is that the correct way to implement simple post-stratification without using Stata's post-stratification commands?

many thanks,
Carolina

Carolina Herrera
Statistician