Re: st: RE: exact command for distance ?

Subject   Re: st: RE: exact command for distance ?
Date   Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:48:07 -0400

Roy--
We do seem to be in some sort of twilight zone, a realm of asymmetric
rules about evidence and civility, but I see no contradiction in what
I have posted--I appreciate users posting code on SSC and elsewhere,
and in Laura's problem an easy solution is available (via an unmatched
merge and a loop over observations) without downloading any code,
which is not to say that a solution using a downloadable program would
not get there in fewer lines of code (or at least lines of code
visible in an email).  However, a similar approach to mine (unmatched
merge and loop over observations) works for any type of problem of
matching one dataset to another, with various different calculations
done inside the loop.  -vincenty- provides better accuracy, but at a
cost (one has to download it, and it is slower than simpler
calculations), though the accuracy may in fact be very important for
some problems where several neighbors are a similar distance from a
point and it is crucial to find the actual nearest neighbor (this is
not an issue for Laura, who only wants minimum distance, and can
tolerate a fairly large error).

My main point about -distmatch- you do not seem to have answered: the
help file makes a claim about its relative speed that seems
unsupported by the evidence.  I have not recommended that people not
download it, but I maintain that the help file is inaccurate, and
should be redacted.  I also recommend you add some guidance for folks
looking for a solution to Laura's problem, involving a second dataset,
as the examples in the help file don't seem to be transparent to users
as they stand, at least on how to approach the two-dataset problem.

I maintain that the code below is a simple and elegant solution, using
only built-in commands and one reasonably fast call to -merge- (the
whole thing might be slightly faster in Mata, but at a cost of lost
transparency). The code works just as well if the second file is a
polygon file, in which case I would label the variable mindist
"Distance to nearest body of water" without mentioning it is the
nearest vertex of all polygons to which we are measuring distance; a
suitably detailed polygon file will make the distance suitably
accurate.

use farms, clear
local nf=_N
g double mindist=.
merge using waterbodies
local R=6367.44
qui forv i=1/`nf' {
local x1=farm_Y[`i']
local y1=farm_X[`i']
local x2 wat_Y
local y2 wat_X
g double L=(`y2'-`y1')*_pi/180
replace L=(`y2'-`y1'-360)*_pi/180 if L<. & L>_pi
replace L=(`y2'-`y1'+360)*_pi/180 if L<-_pi
local t1 acos(sin(`x2'*_pi/180)*sin(`x1'*_pi/180)
g double d=`t1'+cos(`x2'*_pi/180)*cos(`x1'*_pi/180)*cos(L))*`R'
su d, meanonly
replace mindist=r(min) in `i'
drop L d
}