st: ST: create different /distinct identifier for observations

From   Laura Platchkov <>
Subject   st: ST: create different /distinct identifier for observations
Date   Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:24:08 +0100

Dear all,

I just have a basic question. I have 20'000 observations, but a lot of different observation correspond to the same object (a lake) and hence, has the same ID. To do some commmand, I need that each observaiton have a unique identifier. So I need to give 20'000 different identifiers, one for each observation.

So I neeed to create a new variable called obsID, which goes from 1 to 20'000, one for each observation. I can't copy paste my data and do it on Excel, because it would be to long. Can STATA Edit do that?